Recently my father-in-law posted this recipe for a Toblerone Cheesecake on his Facebook wall. Given that I’m pretty sure he’s never made a cheesecake in his life (or any other baked sweet/similar for that matter), I was rather amused and a little confused about why he posted it up. His wife, Glenda (my mother in law) would often post tasty looking recipes on her Facebook, but I wasn’t sure she could have put it up on HIS Facebook (surely she would have posted it all on her wall??). Since we had invited the family over for lunch last Easter and I spotted Toblerone at the shops I couldn’t help but take it as a hidden message (or fate!) that I was meant to make a Toblerone Cheesecake for dessert! (Turns out Glenda had posted it after all after some super investigative work).
I’d never made a Toblerone anything before but really enjoy the chocolate bar as a treat now and then, so was looking forward to trying something new. The results did not disappoint. Smooth, with nutty bits of nougat throughout and an almost-mousse like light texture, it was perfectly creamy and a great chocolatey finish to an Easter lunch. It wasn’t a difficult recipe to put together at all, plus it’s a no bake cheesecake – so no fiddling with gelatin (blech) or raw eggs. Just simple easy ingredients ready in a couple of hours in the fridge. I do hope you give this one a try!
Makes: 12 servings
Time to prepare: 15 minutes, plus 2 hours chilling time
- 750 grams cream cheese (take them out of the fridge for at least half an hour before starting)
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 400 grams Toblerone (400 grams is the standard large size Toblerone bar you can usually buy in shops)
- 1/2 cup pure cream
- Optional, fresh strawberries to serve
For the biscuit base
- 250 grams plain chocolate biscuits
- 125 grams butter, melted and cooled
Equipment needed: stand mixer (or hand mixer/large bowl if you don’t have one), food processor, 25 cm springform cake tin, baking paper, spatula, drinking glass
- First off you’ll want to organise yourself. Make sure you have plenty of space and a good clean bench. Bring out all the tools and ingredients you’ll need and have on your bench. Grease and line your 25 cm springform cake tin and set aside. Melt and cool butter for biscuit base and set aside and you’re ready to go!
- Process the chocolate biscuits in your food processor until they are crushed finely. If you do not have a food processor, by all means use the ziplock bag and rolling pin method (but of course you will not achieve as fine a crumb as you would in a food processor). Add melted butter to food processor and give it another buzz to combine (or if using ziplock bag, just add to bag and mix with a spoon to combine). Pour buttery crumb mixture into lined cake tin and press down with your fingers to cover base entirely. To give it extra firm and a flat top, you can use the bottom of a drinking glass to press down on the crumbs. Pop in the fridge to set for at least half an hour before starting your filling.
- Break up Toblerone into pieces and melt in a double boiler, stirring occasionally with a metal spoon until smooth. Set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Beat your cream cheese in your stand mixer or with a hand mixer / large bowl for about 2-3 minutes until it’s nice and creamy. Add caster sugar and beat for a further 2 minutes, followed by Toblerone and beating for another minute or until combined. Finally pour in cream to cheesecake and beat for a final 2 minutes until everything is smooth and totally combined.
- Pour your luscious, delectable Toblerone cheesecake mixture into your chilled crumb base and smooth down with a spoon or a small offset spatula. Return to the fridge for at least 2 hours (I found that it had a beautiful consistency after chilling in the fridge for after 2-3 hours).
- Serve with a few halved strawberries and enjoy!
OH and before I forget – I have a little giveaway for the blog! Give it away, give it away, give it away now!
Chef is coming soon to cinemas (release date is May 8) and I am giving away two double passes away for you and a friend to go see it! I absolutely adore any movies about food (Julie and Julia, Chocolat and Ratatouille are some of my faves) and am really looking forward to seeing Chef, which is jam packed with stars such as Jon Favreau, Sofia Vergara, Scarlett Johansson, Dustin Hoffman, Robert Downey Jnr and loads more! To enter, like my page on Facebook by clicking here (if you already follow me – simply leave a note in the rafflecopter below!) and leave a comment below about what your fave foodie movie is. Don’t forget to put your entries into Rafflecopter! (plenty of bonus entries available I’ll list in there as well!) This competition only lasts one week (ends at midnight on the 4th of May) so get in quick!! Competition open only to Australian readers – sorry about that!!
If you haven’t seen the trailer for CHEF, you can have a look here!
CHEF serves up a delectable feast of drama and laughs with an all-star cast, including Sofia Vergara, Robert Downing Jr, Scarlett Johansson and Jon Favreau, in this charming film that follows a prestigious chef who loses his passion, but finds his inspiration again. When temperamental Carl Casper (Favreau) falls from grace in the culinary world, he agrees to accompany his ex-wife Inzez (Vergara) and son to Miami to escape bad publicity after a public argument with a food critic (Hoffman). As his passion for cooking begins to reignite, an opportunity to start up a food truck business presents itself and Carl begins to re-establish his artistic promise and at the same time, reconnect with his family. Chef comes to Cinemas May 8.
Tickets are not valid Tuesdays (or cinema discount days), after 5pm on Saturdays or Public Holidays. Valid even when “No Free Tickets” restrictions apply. Tickets must be taken as offered & are not transferable, exchangeable or redeemable for cash. Seating is subject to availability. Valid at participating Hoyts Cinemas, Village Cinemas, Reading Cinemas, EVENT, Greater Union, BIRCH, Carrol & Coyle Cinemas, Australian Multiplex Cinemas, Wallis and participating independent cinemas. Not valid for Gold Class; Special Event sessions or VMAX at Village Cinemas. Not valid for Gold Class and VMAX at EVENT cinemas. Not valid for Gold Class and VMAX at Greater Union and Birch Carroll & Coyle Cinemas. Not valid for La Premiere, Directors Suite, Bean Bag Cinema, Xtremescreeen or IMAX at Hoyts Cinemas. Not valid at Gold Lounge or Titan XC at Reading Cinemas. Not valid for Regal Twin Graceville, Ace Gold Lounge Cinemas and Hayden Orpheum Cinemas. Not valid at Dendy Premium or Lounge Cinemas.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway has been sponsored by Studio Canal.
Wanna keep in touch? Why not like me on Facebook by clicking here, or follow me on Twitter by clicking here :)