I just wanted to start this post with a bit of an apology to all the lovely bloggers who read my blog – I am so sorry its taking me so long to get back and read everyone else’s at the moment. Some of you may know I’m tying the knot in approximately 88 or so days and I’ve had heart attacks and disasters all over the place with last minute makeup artist cancellations and insurance issues with my caterers. Additionally I was sick all last week from work with an awful cold and am only just getting better now but I promise I’ll get back into reading all your lovely blogs again soon! Thank you so much to each and every one of my readers – I really appreciate each and every one of you lovelies!!
Now on to the recipe!
This is one of those great, budget-friendly recipes that’s easy to throw together from cheap ingredients that I often have in the fridge/pantry. You could also try throwing in extra herbs or veggies you have on-hand to mix things up a little – peas, corn, grated zucchini, a finely diced onion. Coriander or parsley would also be great additions to the mix. Whatever you have on hand, the most basic version of this recipe is guaranteed to satisfy.
I created this recipe in an attempt to make a simple, low-fat lunch recipe on weekends, so that I’m ready to go for the week. These patties go great with homemade roasted tomato sauce, sweet chilli or even a garlicky cucumber-yoghurt sauce. I usually serve them with a side salad or a side of steamed or roasted veggies.
These are pretty much pretty impossible to stuff up. Microwave the sweet potato, mash, add tuna, eggs and seasoning. Shape into patties and bake until set and you’re all done!
Only three main ingredients – sweet potato, tuna and eggs.
Cubed sweet potato.
Microwave until fork tender, drain and set aside to cool.
Mash sweet potato, add tuna. Beat eggs and add seasoning and garlic flakes, herbs, peas/corn or any additional ingredients you’re using. Pour egg mixture into sweet potato and mix thoroughly.
Shape into patties and bake.
Sweet Potato Tuna Patties
Makes: 12 patties.
Time to prepare: 1 hour
Sweet Potato Tuna Patties
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed (or 4 cups cubed sweet potato)
- 425 gram can of tuna in brine, drained
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- (optional) 1/2 a teaspoon of garlic flakes, or 1-2 garlic cloves, minced, half cup of peas/corn, half an onion diced, chopped herbs (coriander, parsley, chives)
Equipment needed: 1 microwave-safe bowl, 1 measuring jug, wooden spoon, a lined baking tray
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the cubed sweet potato in a large mixing bowl and cover with boiling (or hot from the tap) water.
- Microwave for 10-15 minutes on high, or until fork tender enough to mash.
- Remove from the microwave, drain and allow to cool. Mash with a potato masher/fork and add tuna. Mix well.
- Crack three eggs into a jug and season with seasoning and add garlic flakes or mince.
- Pour egg mixture into sweet potato and tuna mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon until thoroughly mixed.
- Using wet hands, shape sweet potato mixture into patties (use about enough mixture to fit in the palm of your hand per patty to make 12, or you could make smaller ones if you prefer, just bake them for a bit less.)
- Bake patties in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until well browned and completely cooked through.
These patties are great served with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce, and I bet they would be great with a raita or tzaziki dipping sauce as well. You could also try adding a minced onion, extra herbs or shallots for a bit of extra flavour.